Monday, January 25, 2010

The Birth of the Author II

Today was my first day of classes for the semester and I must say how strangely comforting it is to be back into this particular routine. Given my presumed detest for hierarchies and systemic reinforcements of hegemonic stratification, it may come as a surprise to you. I justify this by saying that it is this routine that keeps my mind active and alert.

Additionally, I am very excited about the classes that i am taking this year. Today's class was an Africana Studies/Education seminar called "Multiculturalism and the Practice of Education," and it was absolutely exciting. Why so? Here's the description of the course: "This course will guide students in exploring and examining multicultural education through historical, sociological and philosophical foundations as they relate to race, ethnicity, culture, religion, ability, gender, sexuality and overall diversity. The course will emphasize the role of multiculturalism and cultural competency in pedadogy. The course will focus on the significance of multicultural curricula in the critical development and enhancement of an equitable, democratic nation." This stuff is RIGHT up my alley (except the whole democratic thing...).

Incidentally, one of the class requirements is that I publish a web-log to respond to various questions and topics of controversy raised in class. Since this web-log is my first since middle school, and the issues that the course requires me to blog about interect seemlessly with many of the concerns that this blog was intended to tackle, I think it only appropriate that my weekly blog assignments be posted on this blog.

The question of my anonymity remains a tricky one to tackle, but my professor (who seems to be the teacher of my dreams) may be understanding as to my particular requests.

So there you have it, "The Angry Homosexist" has now added a new dimension to it's purpose. It's time to change the world... one blogger.com post at a time.

--TAHS

No comments:

Post a Comment